HedgehogCycling.co.uk

Yorkshire cycling website

Bicycles

Economic impact of the Tour de Yorkshire 2018

10th July 2018

Rossetto wins Stage 4 TDY 2018

Stephane Rossetto wins Stage 4 Tour de Yorkshire 2018, by SWPix

Welcome to Yorkshire have released research showing a £98 million boost to the county's economy from the 2018 edition of the Tour de Yorkshire.

There were 2.6 million spectators at the roadside, 79% of them from Yorkshire, and the other 21% from the rest of the UK or abroad. 12.5 million viewers watched the event on TV.

2018 TDY info graphic

Of the £98 million spent over the 4 days of the Tour, £41 million was on accommodation, and £57 million was non-accommodation items including food, drink, and transport.

Many Yorkshire businesses have shared their positive experiences of the Tour de Yorkshire. Café Vélo in Beverley enjoyed its busiest day of the year so far when the event (start of Stage 1) came to town on Thursday 3rd May 2018. Zarina's Tearoom in Kettlewell (on the route of Stage 4) said, 'It was a great day, very chaotic. Tour de Yorkshire certainly added to the value of the day!'

Sherwoods Minibuses in Ripon is a general transport business, but it offers transport for cyclists with specialised trailers for their bikes, for example for people doing C2C and Way of the Roses. On the back of the Tour de Yorkshire, they have seen 'a huge rise in cycle tourism'.

The Black Swan in Helmsley (Stage 3) made a day of it, and experienced a large increase in drinks sales. 'It was great to get all the local residents and visitors cheering together.'

Cultural businesses benefiting from extra visitors included Elsecar Heritage Centre and Leeds Art Gallery.

The race is not just about economic impact. Sir Gary Verity: 'The Tour de Yorkshire is about bringing communities together as well, and the way people turned out to support this year's race was truly overwhelming. The county has taken the event thoroughly to its heart, and we'll work hard to ensure it keeps going from strength to strength.'

Comment Box is loading comments...

CWIS consultation

17th March 2018

Bicycle traffic lights, Leeds-Bradford route

Jesse Norman, minister for cycling at the DfT, is asking for ideas to make cycling and walking safer. Probably the DfT should know how to do this already - after all, organisations like British Cycling and Cycling UK have been telling them for years, but unfortunately they haven't been listening. Will the DfT actually act on what they're told? Who knows, but if you have any interest in active travel, you should respond.

Read about the CWIS consultation, and follow the link to the consultation.

Santander bikes, London Cycle Superhighway, LondonSantander bikes near King's Cross

© 2018 HedgehogCycling
Template design by Andreas Viklund